Sunday, May 6, 2018

Awesome Con 2018 Review

As Dr Who fans, we have become extremely spoiled attending Awesome Con. We have had the pleasure to meet, Peter Capaldi, David Tennant, Billie Piper, Catherine Tate, Jenna Coleman, John Barrowman, etc at previous incarnations of Awesome Con. Those are some pretty big names for a convention that is not geared soley toward Dr Who, but rather geared toward everything that is pop culture. With this being said, I only give my reviews as it relates to Dr Who and the Dr Who Universe. I do not take in consideration anything that is not Dr Who. Is this fair? Probably not, but that's why I'm stating this here right up front. 2018 Awesome Con was geared more toward fans of Guardians of the Galaxy, Arrow, Star Wars and not Dr Who fans. I always review each Con based on Guests, Vendors & Programming.

Guests:

This is was by far the worst Dr Who guest lineup that Awesome Con has ever had since I have been covering them. The guest line-up would have been a little different if Karen Gillan had not backed out. As it was, John Barrowman was probably the biggest Dr Who star at the show and this was his 3rd straight appearance at Awesome Con. I'm guessing they brought him back since this year they included lots of other actors from the Arrow Universe. But 3 years in a row is getting to be a little bit much for me.


The 2nd biggest star was brought in, not by Awesome Con, but rather our friends over at Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey. Joining them at their booth this year was Caitlin Blackwood who played young Amy Pond. Who could forget her magical scene with Matt Smith in the kitchen with fish fingers and custard? Plus, she was really down to earth to speak to.

The only other guests were Jeremy Bulloch, who was in the Time Warrior episode, but is more known as Bobba Fett from the Star Wars movies and comic book artist J.K. Woodward. By the way, J.K. wanted to thank all the fans for making Star Trek Next Generation a huge success this past year.

Programing:

Awesome Con is always loaded with panels, but with their being so little Dr Who guests this year, the panels were lacking. John Barrowman had his Q&A panel, which if you have seen one Barrowman panel, you have pretty much seen all of them, He gets on stage, does something flamboyant and then makes a lot of sexual references. It was funny the first time I saw it, but the 2nd time I saw it I realized he was making the same jokes. I totally skipped his appearance this year, so if he did something different, then please let me know.

The only other Doctor Who panel was "The Doctor through the Ages" but that was on Sunday and I didn't stick around for Sunday.

Vendors:

This is the one area that Awesome Con over delivers. It's an overwhelming experience going down the escalator into the vendor room. Even after attending the last 4 Awesome Cons, I still get blown away by the amount of dealers, artists and just the size of the whole thing.

As I had mentioned before Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey had their own special guest at their booth and they have really started to distinguish themselves from other Dr Who vendors. They have their own Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey experience now, where fans can see screen used props and life size replica props. I'm hoping in the future to sit down with them and discuss everything they are currently working on and where the future holds for them.

Also, one of my personal favorites, Alien Entertainment were at Awesome Con this year. They are one of the biggest suppliers of Dr Who merchandise and I believe the biggest US distributor of Big Finish audio adventures. They did not bring a lot of their Big Finish CD's to Awesome Con this year, but I was still able to pick up the "War Master" box set at a reasonable price.


Overall:

Overall, I would give Awesome Con 2018 a 2 out of 5 Tardises. Please, remember that this is only based on reviewing all things Dr Who related at the Con and even though their wasn't much Dr Who related guests or programming, I still enjoyed myself and will be back next year.