Sunday, August 9, 2015

Dr Who Series 9 Trailer Analysis ~ Connection Conjecture


As many of you know from reading previous posts, I was not a fan of last season. I love Twelve--he may be my favorite, replacing 9, but feel the story arc for the season was way too much "jilted ex,  jealous of new boyfriend and girlfriend keeping both around just in case" and not enough fun. I watch Dr Who for adventure, not because it's a soap opera. Also, the vast majority of episodes were on or near Earth (or a copy of an Earth train)-not the Who we are used to. That being said, let's hope that keeping Clara around is a way to clean up some messes in story lines she has left. 

We have hope in next season. I've watched the trailer and definitely feel like we may be heading back to Whoville. In general, the feel I get from it is of more fun. They seem to be letting 12 be himself-which I think will be a bit of a Colin Baker "I don't care" attitude. I see more new aliens, more new landscapes (ie, not London) and a new sonic. All of these give me hope. 

Now, onwards to specifics that I noticed on reviewing the trailer. First-I don't want to forgive them for making Missy the Master--it just felt like going for the lowest hanging fruit--however it appears that once again the Doctor and Missy may have to work together, very interesting. The hands rising from graves scares me. Could this be a cyborg type Cyberman? Unfortunately this has been overdone in Terminator--I hope they don't go in that direction. Next let's mention the Zygon with the little girl. Are we going to see the results of the great human Zygon get together from "Day of the Doctor"? I am very pleased to see the continuing used of the famous red space suit-for once the producers have followed the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra. The guy in the top hat strongly resembles the great intelligence, and the hairy things resemble the Cybermats from "the Next Doctor". An episode in Victorian England combining the two foes at once would be welcome. 

Finally, let's get to the big ending. In Marvel style, after the credits, we get "took you long enough old man." Easy to miss, but it is by far the most exciting thing to ponder. As I see it, we have two possibilities--Jenny, the Doctor's daughter or Susan, the granddaughter. At least I hope so, as these are the most infuriating dangling threads in the Whoniverse. Cleaning up one would be great--a family reunion episode would be beyond words. 

I have tried to avoid other commentary so that I went into this article cleanly. I have a few wishes for this season:
1-The season is about the Doctor, not Clara. 
2-That we see new worlds and aliens. Returning to classics is nice, but Daleks and Cybermen get destroyed every season and we all know they will be back the next season. That's what made the Weeping Angels so unique-a new monster that instantly became a classic.
3-Returning to old friends is nice however. I would love to see....
A. Danny just to clean up his story 
B. River because, hey it's the guy's wife and he needs a slap in the face to wake him up.
C. Wilfred, because I just think it would be a wonderful companionship between 12 and old Wilf, plus Donna yelling about him and his old friends would be hilarious.
D. Please don't bring back the Ponds. They had a beautiful exit, and we need to move on.