Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Review "The Magician's Apprentice" & "The Witch's Familiar"

Series 9 of Dr Who has started and has started out with a two-part story featuring the return of some familiar faces. Missy, the Daleks, Davros and even the planet Skaro has returned to open up series 9. These episodes seemed to me to be a gift for classic Who fans. Classic Who fans, like myself, love Davros and dream of going back to Skaro, the home planet of the Daleks.

First off, I usually don't go into much detail about what happened during the episode in my reviews. I figure you can watch it for yourself. Secondly, since this is a two part story, I wanted to wait to see both of them to review it has a complete story. With that being said, here's what i thought while watching these episodes.



We first meet Colony Sarff, a literal snake man. The guy is made out of snakes. How cool and creepy is that? Colony Sarff is a character that makes you want more. Steven Moffat did a great job of creating this character and giving us just enough to wet our appetite for me. I kind of had the same feeling, when we first met Dorium Maldovar, the big blue guy. I think we will see more of Colony Sarff in the future.

Now we get to see the Doctor try and save a kid from a "Hand Mine". Yes, I said a "Hand Mine".  We go from a creepy snake man to hands with eyeballs sticking out of the ground, that will drag you under the ground if you move. Creepy Factor 10! Right before the Doctor saves the kid from the "Hand Mine", he tells the Doctor that his name is "Davros". I literally had goosebumps break out on my arm, when he said that and the reaction Peter Capaaldi gives when he hears that name is perfect. You can see the fear in the Doctor's eyes and that's what the Doctor should feel, because Davros is one of the greatest Dr Who villains of all-time. Actually in my opinion, Davros is the greatest Dr Who villain, There is nothing better then watching the two of them debate the merits of life, death, war and pretty much everything else you can think of. Davros doesn't see himself as evil, he sees his choices as the ends justify the means. I recommend everyone to go and listen to Big Finish's "I Davros" 4 part audio series. It follows Davros from a young kid right up to the point, when he creates his first Dalek. Brilliantly done as well. Then again Big Finish does everything great.

Then we get the Master back, aka "Missy". If you have read and of my other reviews, you know I don't agree with time lords being able to choice between male and female. I also think the last 2 representations of the Master have not portrait the true Master as by Roger Delgado & Anthony Ainley. The Master is not about trying to be the funniest person in the room. He's the opposite of the Doctor. The Doctor is supposed to be the funny one, not the Master. With that being said, if you just look at Missy as a character, she is pretty darn entertaining. You can help to laugh, with her antics with Clara through both episodes. Really entertaining stuff.

Some other random thoughts. It was great to see all the different Daleks from the span of the series, classic and new. Loved seeing the Doctor playing the guitar. Kind of reminded me of Pete Towshend of the "Who".  I swear to God, I did not do that on purpose, but he does.

The only thing I really hated about the episodes were the "sonic sunglasses".  Are you kidding me? What a stupid idea. This isn't the first time the Doctor has been without his trusty screwdriver. The sonic screwdriver did not show up until Patrick Troughton's second Doctor displayed it in "Fury from the Deep" and it was destroyed during Peter Davison's run as the fifth Doctor is "The Visitation" and did not show up again until Paul McGann's eighth Doctor. I also agree that the new Doctors tend to overuse the screwdriver. They kind of got away from the original idea of the sonic screwdriver, you know "opening things". Maybe not having it will challenge the Doctor to think his way out of a situation instead of relying on the screwdriver. I'm just hoping we don't see the sonic sunglasses anymore.

Finally, after careful review, I give both "The Magician's Apprentance" and the "Witch's Familiar" a 4 out of 5 Tardis's. Great nostalgia story, with a little too many characters but overall very entertaining.